About Lost Pets
Don't wait to act! The sooner people know your pet's missing, the sooner it'll be found. Lost your cat? Keep looking! Only 2 percent of cats in shelters are taken home again by their owners. Read below for tips on how to increase your chances of finding your pet again or download a brochure that you can print and keep with you: http://friendsofbcas.org/sites/default/files/documents/Lost%20Pet%20pamphlet.pdf
Instructions for Lost/Found Pets in Burlington County
Residents of Burlington County, New Jersey should always contact the Burlington County Animal Shelter to file a report for all lost or found pets.
- 35 Academy Dr., Westampton, NJ 08060
Spread the Word
You should report your pet as missing, share your flyer widely and check with local sources regularly. Here are more tips:
- Search for your pet at all your local shelters, REGULARLY and IN PERSON!
- Send of description of your missing pet to rescue groups, veterinarians, pet stores and community bulletin boards.
- Give a flyer to all of your neighbors, local mail carriers and UPS drivers.
- Post your flyer In the area your pet was last seen on telephone poles and other objects.
- Post your flyer online, on lost/found pet websites or websites that have pets for sale listings (try Facebook.com and Craigslist.org).
- Report your missing pet to your local police department (non-emergency contact) and drop off a flyer.
Create a Flyer
Flyers should ALWAYS include:
- A large photo of the lost pet, in color if possible.
- The date AND place the pet was last seen.
- A contact phone number.
- Some specific details to help identify the pet.
Your flyers should be large and colorful, with "LOST CAT/DOG" in a large font.
When You Find Your Pet
- Don't forget to take down your lost pet flyers.
- Tell everyone who helped you that your pet has been found.
- Get your pet microchipped and keep the information up to date! If your microchipped lost pet ends up at a shelter or a vet's office, the pet will be scanned for the microchip and people will immediately find your contact information.